Thursday, January 22, 2009

What Does President Obama Mean to Black Men?

On Election Day I received an email from a dear friend entitled "...mom wants to know....Mothers with Sons....What does this day mean to you?????". The email eloquently described the emotion, historic and transforming nature of the day. Another friend offered a thoughtful response, recounting her morning activities with her twin boys as they drove to school. She quizzed them "Who can be president one day if they wanted to?", they both yelled "me!". She thought to herself, "yes, they can". The foundation has been set.


After considering their responses, I commented on the enormity of the day and what it meant to me as a mother. But have you considered what it means to us as wives? Facetiously, I responded, "[then Democratic nominee Barack Obama] did make me look at my husband a bit differently too, but that's an email for another day" Well today is that day. So I pose the question: How does President Barack Obama change our expectations for the men in our lives?

It's been said America is enamored with its new President. He's a rock star. His strength, integrity, intellect, profundity, eloquence and charisma draw us in and make us want to be in his presence. His expressive love for First Lady Michelle and his daughters Malia and Sasha exemplify all that is beautiful and lovely about family.

Sounds perfect doesn't it? Are you guilty of sizing up your spouse with President Obama? Has he or should he become the yardstick we use to measure our brothers or better yet, the one they use to measure themselves? Have you caught yourself thinking or saying "President Obama wouldn't do that" in response to something they've done or failed to do? Are African-American men intimidated by the President? Or is he the role model many have been searching for so long?

I'd like to believe that a new standard for manhood has been set- that the bar has been raised. The old excuses aren't good enough anymore. We and they must accept nothing less than the greatness that's inside of them.

So scrubs (as defined by TLC) be on notice. There's a new sheriff in town and his name is Barack Obama!

JB

What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with your analysis and must admit my guilt for sizing up the men in my life. lol
    My son attended the inauguration as part of an educational travel program and I'm pleased to hear how he was so moved by the experience and how it has affected him as a young man preparing for college in the fall.

    It is my hope for America that male organizations use this momentum to transition the mindset of our Black males.

    ReplyDelete