Sunday, June 17, 2012

What Makes a Dad?

When my dad showed up at my doorstep at 7am this morning to deliver my husband's Father's day gift I was blown a way by his selflessness.  He sacrificed a day of fishing just to make sure that I could deliver my gift on time.  What a dad!

So many wonderful childhood memories flood my mind when I think of him....

My striped "Daddy's are a Girl's Best Friend" night gown that I wore so proudly...
Rides around the block on the back of his motorcyle...
Trips to the city with lunch at our favorite spot, Katz Delicatessen. Hot pastrami sandwhiches of course!  Ice skating on the pond, kite flying and trips to Disney.
Even as an adult I laugh when I remembered his words as we began to walk down the aisle as he gave me away, "If you cry I'm going to punch you in the nose", he said.


I remember the tough times as well...
The infamous lecture as my brother and I lowered our heads in shame...."You don't understand the value of the dollar", he said.
The night my dad moved out when my parents divorced.
Watching my pillar of strength lie in the hospital thinking what excruciating pain he must feel being flung from his motorcycle after being hit by an automobile.
The deep sadness watching him bury his younger sister and father.
The anguish of his cancer diagnosis and my prayers to God that he would live to see his first unborn grandchild.  Nine years later, I'm blessed that he's still here for us to create so many more memories with his children's children like The Fishing Trip with Pop-Pop the greatest fisherman in the world.......


There are so many great dads in our lives they are our fathers, grandfathers, husbands, uncles, brothers, cousins, God fathers, Pastors, teachers, neighbors, friends and even presidents. 




And for those dads who are no longer with us, they live in and through us.  We are their legacy.  Their blood runs through us.  Their memories live eternally in our hearts. 

So many men to honor and lift up not only today but everyday.  We salute and celebrate the Chocolate Chip dads everywhere for all you are to your families and communities.

Happy Father's Day!


What Makes A Dad
God took the strength of a mountain,
The majesty of a tree,
The warmth of a summer sun,
The calm of a quiet sea,
The generous soul of nature,
The comforting arm of night,
The wisdom of the ages,
The power of the eagle's flight,
The joy of a morning in spring,
The faith of a mustard seed,
The patience of eternity,
The depth of a family need,
Then God combined these qualities,
When there was nothing more to add,
He knew His masterpiece was complete,
And so,
He called it ... Dad

- Author Unknown

From the Chocolate Chip Archives....

Brooke's Father's Day Serenade: Thanks for Being My Dad



In memory of a great dad and neighbor who inspired us,
Sean Kealy

Thinking of you today as you celebrate your first Father's Day in heaven.

1 comment:

  1. MBSE HSLC Model Paper 2021 will help student to improve their marks in Mizoram Board 10th Exam. We have designed the sections to provide ease so, Students have much time MBSE 10th Model Paper 2021 to improve through MBSE 10th Model Paper 2021. One must practise those Mizoram Board 10th Sample Papers to score higher and strengthen preparations for the board exam.

    ReplyDelete