Friday, September 17, 2010

For Colored Girls...Moms this is For You!

I have been a fan of Ntozake Shange's For Colored Girls Who Have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf for as long as I can remember.  I danced the role of Sechita as a freshman at Syracuse (shout out to Jacqui Welch) and commissioned my sorority sisters from Brooklyn to bring their production to Westchester County several years ago (shout out to the grand diva director Tomasina Boone in the Down Under).

I also LOVE Nina Simone.  Three Women paints such a vivid portrait of the complexity of our collective stories.  Goose bumps run up my arm every time she belts out MY NAME IS PEACHES!!!!!  (Thanks Avis for sharing the gift with me.)

The combination of these two pieces of art is .....POWERFUL!  The trials, struggles, heartache, rejection and fear .....strength, beauty, resilience, tenacity and passion illustrate the depth of our pain, our aptitude to love and faith to move forward regardless of past hurts.. 

Needless to say, I am THRILLED about Tyler Perry's production (it better be good!) coming to theaters November 5th and I'm pleased to share the trailer with you!

The closing line of the choreopoem still rings clear in my head like a clarion bell.....

"I found God in myself and I loved her, I loved her fiercely".

So this is for you, beautiful Colored girl! Save the date and make it a special Girls Night Out and celebrate us, together.

http://www.tylerperry.com/_Movies/fcg/

No comments:

Post a Comment